Tuesday, July 1, 2014

#MustReadin2014 and Kicking off #Summerthrowdown





Teacher Carrie Gelson is calling all #MustReadin2014 readers to turn in their homework for the Quarter Quell. Oh wait, that's not right, I mean the quarterly check in to see how we are progressing in our #MustReadin2014 lists.
Check out the link up here.

 
I have read 30 out of 40 books on my #MustReadin2014 List. That's not too bad but my list keeps getting longer as I continue to add books that I must read this year. A little competition is just the thing to get me motivated (as if any of us needed any reading motivation).

Today I join dozens of other folks in the 3rd annual #summerthrowdown. I did it last year because I am one of those folks who thrive well under the spirit of competition.
I like a reading goal and I love reading as part of a book club. I need to talk about the books I am reading and it's not always easy to find adults in my home or workplace that will read children's books. It is such a thrill to stumble across another grown up in the YA section of the library. We immediately fall into conversation sharing our favorites. I have no qualms about getting older-I like it. It is simply that in my reader's heart, I am still an adventurer in need of a great quest.

The official first book in my #summerthrowdown challenge
Yesterday,  I received this book from Debbie Diesen, creator of The Pout Pout Fish. It was such a wonderful surprise and I now proclaim it as the first book I will read for #summerthrowdown.


I challenged my son and my nephew to a Harry Potter Re-Read Challenge to be completed by July 31st (Harry's birthday). I have gotten too dependent on the ABC Family's movie version of H. P. series and have been missing all the great parts that were cut out from the books. I am still plugging away and up to H. P. and the Prisoner of Azkaban but my son blew through the entire series in one week. He has more time on his hands than I do. I had to use the audio book versions just to get as far as this. (I work year round).

Harry Potter books are on my #MustReadin2014 and #MustRead4Ever

 All of these #virtualbookclub books are on my #MustReadin2014 list and so far I am keeping up with one exception, I could not locate a copy of Splendors and Gloom. 



 Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier was nothing short of FANTASTIC! I am ready for the August #virtualbookclub chat. Well, I need to read The Night Gardener too.


 The creepiest #mustreadin2014 since reading The Coldest Girl in Coldtown.
Favorite dystopian #mustreadin2014 series. I can't believe I haven't made it out to get Graduation Day-I think I don't want the series to end. This was the hottest YA check out in my library this spring for boys and girls. They loved it!



The most intense #MustReadin2014. I had to sit and deeply think about The Impossible Knife of Memory. I feel blessed not having to deal with such suffering.







We Were Liars had the most surprising twist #MustReadin2014 and wow-what a terrific novel. Look for the movie version in the near future.

This is a picture of me ----------------------------->
after some MAJOR weeding of the entire school library and university teacher resource center.
I mean it's real muscle man work taking weeks to get through and I am flat out exhausted. I have given away tons (probably not an exaggeration) of free teaching materials to university students. The great thing is I have now doubled the size of my library. I even sweet talked the Dean of Education (great guy) into giving me some bookcases I desperately needed and would have taken even without permission (but I prefer to get properly obtained permission if he is reading this). Librarians are resource people.


Well until Carrie sends out the next homework call, you will find me reading the last 10 books on my #MustReadin2014 which will certainly have grown to 20 or more books.

Until the next quarterly check in, keep reading and let me know what you are reading. We'll chat.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, yes read Peter Nimble but find a quiet place to read We Were Liars without distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh did I need to read a post like this! Absolutely delightful! And inspiring. We Were Liars is on my list that I still need to read - can't wait. I found Impossible Knife of Memory incredible as well. Have lent it out to so many people after reading it. I just got a copy of Peter Nimble so plan to read it this summer as well. That means I am sure that The Night Gardener will end up on my #MustReadin2015 list if I don't read it sooner! Thanks again for such an amusing post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie for introducing me to Jinx. What a great series.

      Delete
  3. Hilarious! Lots of good books! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a good book year. I look forward to trying to finish off my TBR which is never-ending.

      Delete
  4. Oh goodness, your post made me laugh! There are such wonderful titles on your post, I don't even know where to start. I suppose all I can say for now is that WE WERE LIARS has kept me captivated, and I finished it a few weeks ago! I think I need to reread it before the summer is over. Thank you for sharing your reading life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann for stopping by. I really liked We Were Liars but was thrown off by the "mummy" part in the beginning. I am glad I kept reading.

      Delete

Thank you for verifying. Your efforts are appreciated.