Monday, January 27, 2014

ALA Youth Media Awards and More #IMWAYR

It's Monday! What are you reading on your school holiday?



It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme began by Sheila at Book Journeys as a way to share what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and what is in store for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading. I first learned about it from Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki of Unleashing Readers and have become a regular linked up blog. Thanks #PLN

OH, the agony I experienced this morning when I suddenly had to cover a "running a little bit late" teacher's classroom causing me to miss the ALA Youth Media Awards annoucements which led up to long minutes of frustration of tyring to find out the news asap. Thanks to Twitter, I was able to quickly see Vines and photos shared by fellow book lovers. Thanks all.

You can see the archived webcast here: ALA Youth Media Award - www.ala.org/yma








 
#Virtualbookclub members were thrilled to hear the news of our February Book choice: the Newbery medal winner-Flora and Ulysses by Date DiCamillo. This is one of my current reads.








 









Jinx by Sage Blackwood
This morning I became dangerously behind schedule because I thought I might spare a few minutes to finishing reading the fabulous magical book Jinx. Love it, Love it, Love it! Need bookmarks for my students!









I also re-read a mess of Texas Bluebonnet Award nominees in preparation of our upcoming Bluebonnet Breakfast Celebration. I create a trivia contest, games, and crafts. It is so much fun.


Photo credit: Nancy Jo Lambert
 
Current reads:
Flora and Ulysses
Year of Shadows by Claire Legrande
I have some very cool bookmarks that Claire sent to the students of my school. I just purchased the book and look forward to sharing it with my students.
 






 

 
Happy reading!
 

3 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about Flora & Ulysses. Will definitely check that book out! Here's my Monday Reading this week! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was SO lucky to be able to watch it live this year. I was surprised that I was able to stream live! I was thrilled with Flora & Ulysses winning! I can't wait to share it with my students. I keep hearing so much about Jinx, I'm adding it to my to read list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is awesome that Flora & Ulysses won the Newberry! I am curious to hear your thoughts on The Year of Shadow, I have seen several recommendations but haven't picked it up yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for verifying. Your efforts are appreciated.