Monday, August 3, 2009

Thing 15: Perspectives on Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the Future of Libraries

A Vision of Students Today. It really hit the mark in a big way. This message was so much more powerful by its visual use of students presenting the message versus reading a long drawn out research journal article. This is what Library 2.0 is about-utilizing the most powerful methods of presenting data in a "receiver friendly" language and meeting the needs of the user.

My bedroom has a corner dedicated to housing stacks of textbooks that I decided to hold onto for reference rather than sell back for a tiny fraction of the cost, yet I rarely open them. I might just glue them together to make a nice nightstand. The very fact that so many of these students in the video are tuning out professors and tuning into facebook, myspace, or their Ipods is that they prefer to receive their information in a manner befitting their generation. It is up to us, the senders of information, to convey important and necessary data in a way that our learners can relate to the information. This is the essence of Web 2.0 and Library 2.0-meeting the needs of the learners. We, as well as our students, are the learners. We grow together in a collaborative way, sharing information, and adjusting our mindset. If we can't change, we can't grow, if we don't grow, we become stagnant, and worthless to our students.

I was particularly drawn to the section Expose, expand, extend matadata using Web 2.0. I often find myself in need of bibliographic data and have to seek out cataloging archives to baby step my way through troublesome cataloging. My school purchases large amounts of professional data without Marc records and I am left to bar code and shelf it. I am a careful cataloger and seek out sites to aid me through the process. I am highly in favor of systems of sharing bibliographic data.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for verifying. Your efforts are appreciated.