Sunday, October 26, 2014

Ring the Bell, Josiah Got his Library Card. It's Monday, What are You Reading? October 27, 2014

It's Monday! What are you Reading is a meme began by Sheila at Book Journeys as a way to share what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and what is in store for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading. I first learned about it from Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki of Unleashing Readers and have become a regular linked up blog. Thanks #PLN

My family celebrated a big event this week. My four year old grandson, Josiah signed up for his first library card. Of course we had to stop and take photographs and immediately send to everyone we knew. I was so disappointed in the librarian at the public library because she just shoved some papers to his mom and didn't make any fuss about it. If it had been me, I would have rang a bell and insisted everyone stop and clap for him. This, of course, is why I am a school librarian. We love to make a big deal out of our students reading successes and encourage them through their reading struggles.


Here are some of the books we check out and read and some that I bought to add to my library collection this week.

The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!The Pigeon Wants a Puppy! by Mo Willems
The Pigeon has decided he wants and must have a puppy so after much begging, pleading, and throwing a fit, he gets a puppy but it not quite what he expected.


I am Invited to a Party!I am Invited to a Party! by Mo Willems
Piggie is invited to a party and since Gerald knows parties he helps Piggie prepare for the best fancy, costume, pool party ever.






Traction Man Meets Turbo DogTraction Man Meets Turbo Dog by Mini Grey
Josiah picked this out but it wasn't a favorite of either of ours.





It's an Orange Aardvark!It's an Orange Aardvark! by Michael Hall
Five carpenter ants wonder and worry what is outside their tree stump. What if it is a long tongue ant eating aardvark? There is only one way to find out. Drill a little hole and take a look see.





Frozen: A Sister More Like MeFrozen: A Sister More Like Me by Barbara Jean Hicks
Pleasantly surprised by this title. I knew I needed a Frozen book in my library collection. There have been so many requests for one. Told in dual voice, the sisters share their admiration and affection with each other. I predict it will become the hottest check out in the library.


...and giving Frozen some serious competition in the check out line will be this adorable title.

Ninja Boy Goes to SchoolNinja Boy Goes to School by N.D. Wilson
Bright, colorful, and a favorite topic-ninjas. This book is sure to be a favorite among my students. 







Blue Moon (Dead City, #2)
Blue Moon by James Ponti
I bought Blue Moon, a sequel to a very popular Texas Bluebonnet Award nominee title-Dead City by James Ponti. I look forward to reading it this week and know it will be a hot check out.





Texas Librarian Naomi Bates posted a terrific list on her blog. Check it out: 
Great places to keep up with YA and Children's Books!

Happy Reading!

8 comments:

  1. How great about your grandson. It IS a big deal. Glad you shared the picture too. Can't beat Mo Willems, & I haven't seen either of these, plus Ninja Boy looks very cute. Thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I agree. Library cards are a very big deal. The Ninja Boy book was a timely buy because my other grandson needed to borrow it for a literature Parade.

      Delete
  2. Yay for libraries! A library card is a wonderful thing to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my library would let grown ups update their cards to something cool looking like the kids library cards.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you - definitely a cause for celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He feels like he has a drivers license or credit card now and proudly keeps it in his wallet.

      Delete
  4. It's a HUGE deal! Our local library made sure to honor the event, although I don't think they had bells. It was a huge rite of passage as the kids learned to write their names (you had to sign the back of the cards). The sprawling letters warm my heart.

    Make sure his family knows about Library Elf, which makes it very easy to track books from several accounts. It was a life-saver to me when I had four kids with cards at two library systems...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about Library Elf. Is it a website? My library sends advance notice of items due to my work Emil. It is a big help.

      Delete

Thank you for verifying. Your efforts are appreciated.