Monday, August 5, 2013

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? August 5, 2013 Emergent Readers, Bookmarks, and Doll Bones

It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme began by Sheila at Book Journeys as a way to share what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and what is in store for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading. I first learned about it at Teach Mentor Texts. 

This week I focused on preparing a special book shelf for Kinder and First graders.
I read several of the books that best fit the reading level of an emergent reader,  Kinder, or beginning year for first grade. Here are some books at the 0.2-1.0 reading levels




It was also time for my annual re-read of Tiny Goes to the Library. I like to read this to 
Pre-kindergarten children coming into the library for the first time. It is simple and they love Tiny. 
They will soon discovered his big friend Clifford in a few weeks. 


 It's hard to see but this is what is on the sign. It is the basis of our cultural literacy. We are a product of what we read and internalize. We are the adventurer seeking our fortune or a prisoner held in a high tower. Books shape our thinking of who we are and whom we wish to become. 


This turned out nice, I have been re-purposing old falling apart pages of books and turning them into bookmarks and signs.







#VirtualBookClub

Doll Bones
 I am re-reading Holly Black's Doll Bones just in time for our #virtualbookclub chat on Monday, August 5th at 8 CST/ 9CST. We hope you will join us. This is unfortunately at the same time as the #TLelem chat about sharing Back to School ideas. (Teacher-Librarian elementary chat)

Doll Bones is one of the most discussion rich novels that I have read in a long time. It is like an onion with its many layers and meanings. The story revolves around three middle school students Zach, Alice, and Poppy who have been playing imaginary games full of treacherous mermaids, pirates, and great adventures. As adolescence comes knocking, the trio must now face life's great adventure and it's not an easy journey. One day Zach suddenly stops playing the game and refuses to explain why. It seems like all their great adventures are over until a ghost girl comes calling.

Doll Bones has just the right element of creepy horror without the violence or gruesomeness.

I discovered two different versions of Doll Bones a USA and a UK version.
Which do you prefer?



If you are joining #virtualbookclub, using a service like Twubs or Tweetchat will make your chat experience easier to follow. Here is a video that might help.

NEXT UP on August 19th 8 CST/9EST The Wig in the Window
Recently, I was thrilled to arrive home to find this wonderful package on my porch for the upcoming The Wig in the Window mystery novel #virtualbookclub chat. Thanks  Kristen Kittscher
Kristen also donated an autographed copy for my upcoming district librarian meeting. What a sweetheart. Authors are the best! 

For Book Links and a Discussion Guide go HERE




Are you interested in trying out other Twitter chats? Here is a terrific compilation of chats by #hashtags and days of the week. Twitter Chat Google Doc (Compiled by @thomascmurray & @cevans509)

With school drawing so near, I feel rushed to read so many titles. What a blessing to be stressed out about good books. So, what are you reading?


21 comments:

  1. Julee, I didn't know about the Teacher Librarian chat--will definitely check it out. Love your displays--makes me look forward to going back to school! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could afford it, I would be perpetually in school earning one degree of another. I am a sponge! Of course my mom might say "where was that sponge when you were a kid?" I hated to read until I discovered garage sale comics and then BOOM! My learning took off.

      Delete
    2. Isn't that the truth!If I'd had the means in the past 20 years, I would have gone back to add a degree in history (just because I learned after college that I really love history), a Masters in teaching reading, a PhD in teaching English as a second language. As it turns out, I didn't get these, but I did add on an endorsement in ESL and, later, an LMS endorsement. That's one of the lovely things about teaching, isn't it--that you can reinvent yourself professionally over and over. Love that. :-)

      Delete
    3. I think I am at the re-invent stage now but still loving Librarianship.

      Delete
  2. A copy of Doll Bones is sitting in a box at school right now, but I have to wait for the plumber! Argh! The repurposed book marks are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. When one is faced without funds for resources, one makes do. I can thank Coastal Community and Teachers Credit Union for funding supplies for my library book clubs and pre-K lessons. My advice to teachers and librarians. Look for resources locally. Now go get your copy of Doll Bones and join s tonight. Hope to see you there.

      Delete
  3. Doll Bones sounds just right for the kids in my class who loved Coraline. That covers, as someone has pointed out, so creepy and effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it with that description-"creepy and effective." It will be the cover that captivates my students but the story will drive their enthusiasm for completing the read. I also just remembered something. I am a researcher so I looked at other versions of the cover and the UK version includes the phrase "The dead can toy with you" Here is one pic: http://distractionsbymyling.typepad.com/my_weblog/2013/06/the-dead-can-toy-with-you.html

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing! My sons also enjoy stories about Tiny. I love the repurposed book marks! Doll Bones has been sitting at the top of my TBR stack for a few weeks. I really need to get to it (wish I'd read it in time for #virtualbookclub!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join us anyway Elisabeth. I have read it twice now and learn something new every time. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE Little Critter! That's the easy reader series that got my son excited about books.

    Doll Bones is amazing. My favorite part, I have to say, is the fact that the "Trio" includes TWO girls and a boy. It's almost ALWAYS the other way round... Okay, so there were a lot of other things I also loved...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Critter was always a big bedtime hit in my home. There used to be some computer games too.

      Delete
  6. I just finished Doll Bones. Loved it. I am going to try and participate in the virtual book chat. I have also just started The Wig in the Window and am liking it so far! So glad I stumbled into your blog thanks to #IMWAYR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Debra. I hope we cross paths in the conversation.

      Delete
    2. What is your Twitter handle? I am @JuleeMurphy Nothing mysterious there.

      Delete
  7. I so LOVE the repurposed book marks. I may have to steal that idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea- using old pages and turning them into something new. Doll Bones and The Wig in the Window are on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join us for the #virtualbookclub chat on Wig in the Window. It will be wonderful. Also,on Thursday, August 15th there will be a #DollBones chat with author Holly Black. I hope to see you there!

      Delete
  9. Love your display ideas, they're wonderful! Can't wait to read Wig in the Window, on an order... Loved Doll Bones, read through the chat archive... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your copy arrives quick enough to join us for #virtualbookclub for Wig in the Window. It will be wonderful.
      Author Kristen Kittscher will pop by for a few minutes.
      Also,on Thursday, August 15th there will be a #DollBones chat with author Holly Black. I hope to see you there!

      Delete

Thank you for verifying. Your efforts are appreciated.