Monday, May 6, 2013

It's Monday, What Are You Reading May 6, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading? A weekly themed meme connecting many bloggers around the world and originally conceived by Sheila at Book Journeys. I first learned about it at Teach Mentor Texts hosted by Jen and Kellee. I was messing around with a button Scholastic had given me and stuck it in a calendar and snapped a photo. Cool right? Now I flash this pic to kids and ask them, "What are you reading?"

There has been a heck of a lot of reading going on in my home lately. We have had a marathon of Elephant and Piggie books and a few other Mo Willem titles too. I had determined that L does not get read to enough and J, although still two-almost three years old is ready to learn to read. We read several books every night and have been practicing our alphabet letters phonetically. I have to give snaps to YouTube videos and Ipad apps that help make this journey so easy. There are some terrific sounding our sounds videos online.

These books have all been read five times each this week

The Murphys LOVE Mo Willems books


 As far as the big people books go, I quickly read the sequel that I had been waiting for: The Elite by Kera Cass. These folks really know how to design a book cover. Both books are enjoyable and fun to read but not as intense as Veronica Roth's fabulous Divergent, Insurgent, and now the third book Allegiant.

Visit author Kiera Cass's web site to learn more about The Selection and The Elite.
 
I am sure you have all heard the news about Veronica Roth's Allegiant 
which will be released on 10-22-2013
I can't wait!




I also finished up Ghetto Cowboy, a 2013-2014 Texas Bluebonnet nominee. This is how I am sharing this unique book with my students. 2013 Bluebonnet Book Club.

It is kinda cool that I finished it up this week because my mom and I went to see the Budweiser Clydesdale horses that were in town for our annual Buccaneer Days. That's right, my city celebrates the invasion of pirates on our coastlines and the sad thing is not much has changed since as the violence and crime increases every year. My mom told me  that her dad took her to see the Budweiser Clydesdale horses when she was a little girl. She is now 75 years old. Those fellas have been around for a long time. They are massively HUGE!



 This one is named Bud. Not very original.
 
This is my favorite shot of the day. I have plans to use this next time my kids get sassy.

Current Reads: 


This week, I have picked up a copy of Son by Lois Lowry. I have really enjoyed this amazing journey through The Giver quartet.  She is such a gifted writer. I am looking forward to learning how Lowry will brings all the threads of the quartet together to weave connections between the characters in all four books. I have heard it is beautifully mastered.


I also reading Sidekicks by Jack D. Ferraiolo because there has been some "whispers" about page 6-10 on the school bus about certain topics in this MG book. Thank goodness I have a good repertoire with my students so one of them came to me to share what was being talked about. He described the passage as "tension starting up in the character's pants". Oh great-just what I need someone thinking I keep dirty books in the library. I reminded everyone that if they are ever uncomfortable with any book they are reading, they should turn it in and find one to suit them. For now, I am tucking this one in my Middle School library section. Our middle schoolers understand that they are mature enough to handle realistic fiction about the things kids their age experience and if I started censoring these types of books, then I would be doing them a disservice.

 

    

Audio Books this week:

 


5 comments:

  1. Hooray for More Mo! I love how those books help with expressive oral reading, and really they are just plain old silly good fun! Can you believe I have read any Veronica Roth? Hoping to jump in with that this summer!

    Have a good week!

    Lorna @notforlunch

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just can't get enough of Mo. I want Mo! Do read Divergent and Insurgent so that you will be ready for her latest. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love Mo Willems!!! I can barely keep his books on the shelf. :) Great reading week!

    The Monster Report

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 11 year old daughter enjoyed Patterson's Middle School series. And yes, Mo Willems - lovelovelove him. Loads of Elephant and Piggie books here - most I haven't read yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love Mo Willems. Out of all the authors I have ever met, and I've met a lot of them, the one that had me shaking the most, was by far Mo Willems. Everyone can pretty much count on me giving their kid one of his books if I have to give them a gift. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for verifying. Your efforts are appreciated.