Monday, March 25, 2013

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? 3/25/2013





This will be my first post linked to Teach Mentor Text's What are you reading? 
I read everyday and love sharing what I am reading. I have just finished Every Day by David Levithan and now I am working on finishing up Scarlet, book number 2 in the Lunar Chronicles, by Marissa Meyer, but more on that next week. 




My rating: 4 of 5 stars
The first thing that came to mind as I was reading Every Day was one of my favorite TV shows several years ago-Quantum Leap. A is a genderless being that is propelled into a different, unsuspecting host body every day. A respects the host body by making as little changes as possible until he meets Rhiannon and falls in love with her. Remarkably, Rhiannon begins to love A back although she never  knows what A will look like each time they meet. Can such an improbable love story find a happy ending? Read it to find out. You will not be disappointed. 



These are the books we are reading at home this week. 



Waking Dragons 
by Jane Yolen and Illustrations by Derek Anderson
Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers

A young knight helps his dragon prepared for the day brushing teeth, changing into outdoor clothes, and eating waffles for breakfast. Waking Dragons is an easy flowing rhyming book. The illustrations are bright and colorful and offer multiple opportunities for good discussions. Point in fact-why did the dragon first brush his teeth and then eat his breakfast? We brush after eating in our home. 



Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature
by Nicola Davies and illustrated by Mark Hearld
Candlewick Press

In a word, this book is beautiful.
Beautifully written.
Beautifully illustrated.
Young readers and older readers alike will marvel over glimpses into the natural world.
Outside Your Window is a book of nature poems divided into four sections by the four seasons. 
Each reader will discover a favorite section as they meander through this jewel of a read. For me, it was "Listen to the Pond" frogs singing out "Rrruuprrrppp rrruuurrrrppp. Nature lovers will enjoy the process of speckled frog eggs evolving into tadpoles and eventually into frogs. Excellent book to reinforce learning objectives for science based topics through poetry.







8 comments:

  1. Jullee,
    I also loved Every Day and I have Scarlet on the top of my stack. Thanks for the picture book recommendations, which I've added to my list. I look forward to visiting your blog again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, I adore picture books but I like to keep a great YA for my nightly reading.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to It's Monday! I could not get into Every Day, but I LOVED Scarlet! I hope you enjoy. Have a great week. Here is my week http://wp.me/pzUn5-1su

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for including your blog link. I just read it and left a comment. I am enjoying Scarlet and plan to head to bed soon and catch up on it. I fall asleep so fast now days. I can only read printed books because my Ipad hurts too much when I fall asleep and it bonks me on the face. Ha. I bet alot of readers experience the same phenomenon.

      Delete
  3. Your books are new to me. What grade level(s) do you think would enjoy Every Day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think high school students would enjoy it best. I read it due to many Twitter friends recommending it. It would not be a book choice for students in my elementary/Middle School.

      Delete
  4. I love all of these! Every Day is definitely a favorite. I thought it was so great. I listened to the audio which was excellent. Waking Dragons was one of my World Read Aloud Day reads and it was a lot of fun. Outside Your Window is also beautiful. :) Thanks for joining in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you and if you if don't mind, I would like to keep it up. I enjoy writing blog posts but I usually write them and never hit the publish button. I tend to work it out of my system and end up with quite a back log of unpublished posts. I had read many extra books but wisely gave myself a time limit to write this blog post. I think I will continue my time limit rule too. See you next Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for verifying. Your efforts are appreciated.